1 of 2
Cricket Wireless AmphitheaterCricket Wireless Amphitheater has a full schedule this year with many popular performers. (Photo by Paul Luc Chokota)
2 of 2
Cricket Wireless AmphitheaterJamie Whitehead, general manager of Cricket Wireless Amphitheater, and Chris Fritz of New West Presentations have lined up some of the biggest acts in music this summer for Cricket Wireless Amphitheater in Bonner Springs, including Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers and John Mayer.
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater
The Mumford and Sons folk-rock concert scheduled Monday at Cricket Wireless Amphitheater sold out within 12 minutes, a record at the Bonner Springs venue.
The British group’s bass player had emergency surgery this week for a blood clot on the brain and the group canceled three of the concerts on its tour.
Cricket Wireless general manager, Jamie Whitehead, said Thursday night that the concert Monday has been postponed, and she hoped to have a rescheduled date to announce soon.
The band announced on its Facebook page earlier Thursday that it would not be able to perform at Monday night's concert because of the illness.
Whitehead said the surgery went well for the band's bass player. “I think they just caught it in time,” Whitehead said.
The group was "a very hot group,” she noted. “Everywhere they’re going, they’re selling out,” she said.
Cricket Wireless has a full schedule this year with many popular performers. The Lumineers led the season opening concert June 1.
Among the upcoming concerts:
- Rock ’n’ Rage, MMA Championship fight with tributes to Rage Against the Machine, Pantera and Tool, June 22;
- Low Dough Show with Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper, June 27;
- John Mayer, July 10;
- The Rock ’n’ Roll Dream Concert, Last Child, Houses of the Holy, KC/DC, Edge of Forever, a tribute concert to Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd, July 13;
- Bachman and Turner with Foghat, July 21;
- Vans Warped Tour, with many bands, July 23;
- The Pitch Picnic featuring 2013 Summerland Tour with Everclear, Live, Filter and Sponge, July 28;
- Electric Run 5K, Aug. 2;
- Buzz Under the Stars Night 2 with The Killers, Queens of the Stone Age, Gogol Bordello and more, Aug. 3;
- Rob Zombie with Machine Head, Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom, Aug. 5;
- Monsters of Mock, a tribute concert to Metallica, Kiss, Motley Crue and Ozzy Osbourne, Aug. 10;
- Déjà Vu, a tribute concert to Tom Petty, Eric Clapton and Journey, Sept. 7.
Cricket Wireless Amphitheater is managed by New West Presentations, which is managed by Chris Fritz.
The amphitheater has new video screens and sound on the lawn for the 2013 season, with a makeover of all the buildings. Some of the artist sets will be streamed.
The amphitheater also is continuing its green initiative programs, including free parking for hybrid cars, and a recycling program. It also supports charities through food drives for local charities.
A 5K run was held April 13 at Cricket Wireless and Wyandotte County Park called Color Me Rad. A portion of the proceeds went to the KCK Huggers and Special Olympics Kansas. Another 5K is scheduled Aug. 2, the Electric Run, with some of the proceeds designated for charity.
For more information, see http://cricketwirelessamp.com/.
- Information and photos from Kathy Hanis