A resident suffered a minor burn to the hand in a fire started by unattended cooking Feb. 10 at a multifamily dwelling at 820 Tauromee Ave.
The fire occurred about 9:13 p.m. on Sunday.
A spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department said the fire was determined to be unintentional.
Crews responded within 2 minutes and found heavy fire. A smoke alarm had alerted residents to the fire, and they had evacuated the three-story building by the time the Fire Department arrived.
The spokesman said the building was a home that had been converted into apartments, and the fire was in the kitchen of the rear apartment.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in 13 minutes.
The estimated damage to the building and contents was $60,000, according to the Fire Department spokesman.
The Red Cross was called to assist nine adults.
The patient who had a minor burn on the hand was evaluated by emergency medical personnel and taken to a hospital, the spokesman said.