Two Kansas City, Kan., residents were reported dead from carbon monoxide poisoning tonight.
The deaths were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline generator in the 5100 block of Kimball, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department spokesman.
Emergency crews found two adults, a 69-year-old woman and her 58-year-old brother, dead inside the home, the spokesman said.
Power was still off to about 5,000 or so Kansas City, Kan., residents around 5 p.m.
Emergency crews responded to the unknown medical call around 5:18 p.m. A family member was unable to contact the residents by phone and had called the emergency crews.
A generator was found running in the basement garage, according to the spokesman.
Crews shut off the generator, and opened the windows and doors to ventilate the home. They used monitoring equipment to determine the carbon monoxide levels, according to the spokesman.
The garage had a reading of 600 parts per million, and other parts of the building also had high levels of carbon monoxide, the spokesman said.
One firefighter had above normal carbon monoxide level reading; he was checked out and returned to duty, the spokesman said.