A man working on repairs was injured in a natural gas explosion and fire at a home at 61st and Sloan on Sunday, June 9.
The 61-year-old man had second-degree burns to both arms, as well as first-degree burns to the facial area, according to a Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department spokesman. He was taken to a hospital with a possible airway injury.
A woman who lived at the home received minor abrasions from falling after being startled by the noise from the flash fire, the spokesman said. She was treated at the scene but refused further treatment.
When firefighters arrived within 4 minutes of the call at 3:12 p.m. June 9 at 6159 Sloan, they saw a one-story wood-frame home with light smoke showing, the spokesman said.
According to the spokesman, the burn victim had been working on repairs to the heating and cooling system in the utility room when a buildup of natural gas from a faulty furnace was ignited, causing a gas explosion and flash fire.
The fire investigator responded to the scene, and the Fire Department determined the fire to be unintentional.
Damage to the home was $23,000, according to the Fire Department.