Kansas Speedway officials were reviewing security late on Monday and on Tuesday morning after a terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon Monday afternoon.
The speedway in Kansas City, Kan., will be the host for NASCAR races this weekend, April 19 to 21.
Speedway President Patrick Warren said after the meeting with the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department officials this morning that there were no plans now to change the speedway’s gate policies, or do anything that might create a difference in fan experience.
He added there might be security measures taken that will not be made public, and that the speedway would not talk about what it does concerning those measures.
Certainly, the speedway will be vigilant in checking bags and coolers coming into the event, he said, but fans will still be able to bring in a 14-by-14 soft-sided cooler, with no glass, under the same rules as previously, Warren said. Fans will have to be patient as these bags are checked.
“We feel terrible for the people in Boston, our thoughts and prayers are with them,” Warren said. “Unfortunately in the world we live in today, we have to think about these things all the time.”
Warren said the speedway has an emergency action plan that is reviewed before and after every event. The Kansas Speedway has never had a terrorist event.
“We’re certainly monitoring what happened in Boston, to do the best we can to make this facility safe and secure,” Warren said.
This spring’s Sprint Cup race will not have the usual military flyover. The flyovers of sports events have been canceled by the Department of Defense because of sequester cuts to the military budget.
“We’re disappointed we won’t have a flyover,” he said. “We appreciate the service of our military, it’s a good way to show the talent of the military and show appreciation to the military.”
The NASCAR races this spring at Kansas Speedway include other events such as an appearance in a pre-race concert April 21 by the musical group Blackberry Smoke.