Improper disposal of smoking materials caused a fire at a home at 2612 Maddox at 12:15 p.m. today, according to a Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department spokesman.
Crews arrived within 4 minutes and found heavy smoke and fire coming from a detached garage, the spokesman said.
The fire had already extended to the home because of the heat and nearness to the fire.
Crews were able to contain the extension of the fire to the home, the spokesman said. The garage fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.
The estimated damage to the property and contents was $25,000, according to the Fire Department. There were no injuries.