A faulty fireplace flue caused a fire at 1:07 a.m. Nov. 18 at 6213 Tauromee.
Residents of the one-story home were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors, according to a spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.
They had already evacuated the home by the time the Fire Department crews arrived, within 5 minutes of the call.
Crews saw smoke coming from the roof of the building when they arrived, the spokesman said.
They found the fire from the fireplace had traveled up inside the walls to the attic. The fire was brought under control within 8 minutes, he said.
The Fire Department estimated damage to the structure and contents at $25,000. The fire was ruled unintentional, according to the Fire Department report. There were no injuries.