Firefighters answered a call around midnight about smoke and embers coming from the smokestack at Gates Barbecue, 1021 State Ave.
While the inside of the restaurant was clear from smoke, firefighters found the fire was in the attic area and smokestack, according to a spokesman for the Fire Department.
Crews set up aerial ladders and ground ladders to get to the roof. They opened ventilation holes in the roof, and found the fire had extended into the attic, according to the spokesman. Hoses were placed to attack the fire.
The estimated dollar loss from the fire was $100,000, according to the Fire Department. No one was injured, and the cause of the fire appeared to be unintentional.