A home fire on Saturday, March 30, at 1253 Metropolitan Ave. was caused by a child playing with a lighter in the bedroom area, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the fire about 2:09 p.m. to find flames showing from the upper floor of a one and a half story home, a spokesman said.
Residents were evacuating the building when crews arrived.
A search confirmed that all occupants were out of the building, according to the spokesman. The fire was brought under control within 10 minutes.
The estimated damage to the building and contents was $40,000, the Fire Department estimated.
The Red Cross was called to assist two adults and five children. There were no injuries, and the home did not have a working smoke detector.