An industrial machinery fire May 5 in the Fairfax industrial district was caused by an equipment malfunction, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.
The fire was reported about 2:38 p.m. May 5 at 3001 Fairfax Trafficway, Kansas City, Kan.
Crews arriving within 3 minutes saw smoke coming from the rear of the building, a Fire Department spokesman said.
GNB Technologies Industries used kilns to melt and mold lead in the manufacturing process. The fire originated in lubrication lines that had leaked on to the kiln, causing the fire in the processing unit, the Fire Department spokesman said.
Crews were able to put out the fire after shutting off the power to the machinery. The fire investigator determined the fire to be accidental through faulty equipment.
The estimated damage was $50,000 to the $8 million facility. There were no injuries.