About 78 employees were evacuated last night from a Fairfax battery plant when smoke filled the building, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.
The fire call to the plant at 3001 Fairfax was at 11:24 p.m. Jan. 23.
A Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department spokesman said smoke was reported in the building. No fire was located, however.
Crews used infra-red cameras to locate the source of the smoke and also checked out the roof area. Finally crews on the second floor determined the heat source was located in the floor area.
They used saws to open up the floor and found the source of heat and smoke, a spokesman said.
The plant manager told fire crews that welders had been working in the area below earlier that day and hot embers may have smoldered in the floor area. The embers were extinguished.
The estimated damage to the floor area was $1,000, and there were no injuries.