Emergency crews investigated a possible smell of natural gas at the Frances Willard Elementary School, 3400 Haskell, before school started this morning.
Fire crews arrived within 4 minutes of receiving a call at 7:22 a.m.
A spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department said there were no students in the building at the time of the call.
Teachers and staff in the building before school started had noticed a smell and called for assistance. Emergency crews called the Kansas Gas Service to respond. They found an odor in one hallway on the south end of the building. The teachers and staff were evacuated, according to the Fire Department spokesman.
School district maintenance staff on the scene then located a problem with the heating and ventilation unit on the roof. It was not natural gas, but a ventilation problem. The building was ventilated, air monitoring indicated there were no issues after repairs, and air quality was back to normal, the spokesman said. There were no injuries.
School then started as usual.