An electrical short caused a fire at a four-plex at 5:58 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10, at 1420 N. 55th Drive.
According to a spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department, crews who arrived at the fire within three minutes of the call reported light smoke in one unit of the four-plex.
There was no active fire visible, but a thermal imaging camera located heat in the walls.
Crews removed the sheetrock from the walls to locate the fire, the spokesman said.
The spokesman said an electrical short into the building had damaged the electrical wiring in the building.
The fire investigator determined the fire was unintentional and electrical in nature.
The Red Cross was called to assist three adults and three children.
The damage to the building was estimated at $100,000, according to the fire department. There were no injuries.