More than 40 community agencies applied, and 13 agencies will receive grants from the half-million dollars donated by the Hollywood Casino at Kansas Speedway for charitable community use.
This year’s grants were designated to be used toward improving health in the community. The Unified Government Commission decided during the past year to give one-year grants between $10,000 and $50,000 to improve the community’s health.
According to the UG agenda information, after administrative costs there was $493,082.34 available for grants.
A committee selected grant recipients on Friday, May 3, and the recipients’ names were contained in the UG’s agenda that was published online Monday on the UG’s website.
The UG Commission will have the opportunity to vote on the grant recipients at the 7 p.m. Thursday, May 16, meeting. It is expected to be a vote on whether to approve the entire package of grants without changing the details, a process discussed during past UG meetings.
The proposed grant recipients:
- The Family Conservancy, “Healthy Parents, Healthy Kids,” $18,000.
- Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas, “New Roots for Refugees,” $50,000.
- Episcopal Community Services Inc., “Wyandotte County Nutrition Action Initiative,” $49,949.
- Bethel Neighborhood Center, “Youth Fit 4 Life,” $50,000.
- Kansas City Community Gardens, Inc., "Healthy Gardens Wyandotte," $50,000.
- Oak Ridge Youth Development Corp., “Oak Ridge Integrated Health Curriculum,” $50,000.
- Caritas Clinics (Duchesne Clinic), “Supporting Better Choices for People with Diabetes,” $47,600.
- Kansas University Endowment Association, “KCK Organic Teaching Gardens,” $50,000.
- Associated Youth Services Inc., “Healthy, Fit and Informed Dottes,” $50,000.
- Rosedale Development Association Inc., “Rosedale Healthy Kids,” $19,846.
- Resurrection Catholic School at the Cathedral, “Fit for Our Future,” $17,000.
- Cross-Lines Cooperative Council Inc., “Be Healthy, Live Better Wyandotte,” $26,950.
- El Centro Inc., “Promotores de Salud II: Celebrating Quinceneras,” $13,737.