An estimated 275 Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth and Associates will meet July 4-7 on the campus of the SCL Mother House and the University of Saint Mary, Leavenworth, Kan. Theme of this “All Community Gathering” is “Come look forward.”
Sisters and Associates from the United States, Peru and South Sudan will attend the event featuring a guest speaker; art, music, crafts and poetry; prayer and worship; and discussion opportunities. The Rev. Anthony Gittins, professor of theology and culture, Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, will speak on “Discipleship: What on earth is it?”
Special festivities during the four days will include:
• Opening on the Fourth of July.
• Observance of the 50th anniversary of the SCL missions in South America with a Mass,
• celebratory meal and Peruvian dance.
• A prayer service and dinner to mark the 25th anniversary of the SCL Associate program through which individuals who share the values of the Sisters commit to service and prayer with them.
• Profession of perpetual vows by Sister Rejane Cytacki, who teaches at Xavier Elementary School.
- From Therese Horvat, SCL director of communications