Football season is in full swing and that can only mean one thing, the need for game-day snacks.
Everyone has tried the classic chips and dips, or fruit and veggies platter, but here’s a new twist on things: sweet potato and black bean quesadillas.
These are not your standard quesadillas. They may not be oozing with cheese like your classic quesadilla, but they make up for it in flavor and nutrients. The sweet potato adds a creamy texture, and the spices add a nice kick that will keep you coming back for more. You also get fiber from the sweet potato and black beans, and protein from the black beans.
These quesadillas are perfect as a game-day snack, appetizer, or a quick after-school snack. Helpful hint: if you have small children, you might want to have them try the quesadillas and guess the “secret ingredient.”
Ashlee Lamar is a registered dietitian with Providence Medical Center.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
1 large sweet potato, cooked and peeled
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese
8 wheat tortillas
1. Mash sweet potato until smooth.
2. Add black beans and combine.
3. Add chili powder, cumin and garlic and mix well.
4. Spread ¼ of mixture evenly over 1 tortilla. Sprinkle with ¼ cup cheddar cheese.
5. Cover with another tortilla on top.
6. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
7. Bake in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes, or microwave for one minute.
8. Cut into sixths and serve warm.